Labor activists in NYC and elsewhere who oppose war response to events of Sept. 11, 2001.
Defining NYCLAW Principles (December 5, 2005)
1. Uncompromising opposition to bipartisan U.S. wars of empire – not only in Iraq – but in Afghanistan, Palestine & everywhere else; i.e.: Out Now! Based on right of national self-determination, not necessarily on political agreement with all who resist. Thus, Palestinian self-determination – i.e., right of return – is central.
2. War abroad cannot be separated from the war at home on workers, people of color, immigrants, Arab/Muslims, civil liberties – Katrina.
3. Independence from Democratic Party.
4. Working class has unique resistance is the key to an effective antiwar movement.
• Basra oil workers
• Rank and file U.S. trade unionists
• Unorganized workers
5. Reject sectarianism, turf, Peaceocracy, self-promotion, worship of politicians or celebrities. Support honest, principled, democratic, united, bottom-up antiwar action.
Former President, NPMHU Local 300
Former President, UAW Local 2325/Assn. of Legal Aid Attorneys
Former President, AFSCME DC 1707; N.E. Regional Coordinator, Million Worker March Movement